HISTORY OF THE THIAN FAH FOUNDATION HOSPITAL

The Thian Fah Foundation Hospital was founded in the year 1903 by six Chinese individuals, each representing their five native provinces (Teochew, Hakka, Guangdong, Fujian, Hainan). These individuals were Liu Ji-bin, Wu Miaoyuan, Gao Hui-shi, Liu Congmin, Zhang Jianshan and Wang Xingzhou. They were donated their own money and some more from public. So they were able to purchase the land, 2 Rai 249 Square Wah on Yaowaraj Road to build the first Chinese hospital in Teochew dialect name "Thian Hua Oui Yi". The purpose of hospital is providing a free Chinese medical examination and treatment by Chinese herbal for miserable patients. It is the first Chinese Institute of Traditional Medicine in Thailand.

On the 19th of September, 1905, Thian Fah Hospital had the great honor of having H.M. King Chulalongkorn preside at the opening ceremony as well as donating money to start our operations. Additionally, His Majesty handed us 2 cabinets (with the Royal Emblem imprinted at the top) as a souvenir.

In 1931, we were officially given a charity license the first ever one in Thailand. In 1954, we changed our name to what we know today as "The Thian Fah Foundation Hospital". Several years later, opened our modern medicine and X-Ray departments.

Our flagship Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva (Guanyin Bodhisattva) statue was sculpted during the China Tang Dynasty, and was originally at the An-Le Temple in Henan Province, China. During the Revolution in China, it was sent to Hong Kong then a private collector from Thailand purchased it. In 1960, it was donated it to our temple, where it still stands today.

The logo of the hospital is a white lifebuoy and a red Chinese character in lifebuoy '天' means 'heaven'. There is a sign with big font Chinese character '天華醫院' that means 'Thian Fah Hospital' and it was written '痌瘝在抱' means 'put the pain and agony of the people in our arms.' as four Chinese words on the back. This clearly explains the mission of the hospital; the doctors will cure regardless of races or religions.

The Thian Fah Foundation Hospital recently partnered with a Phramongkutklao Hospital in which they sent a team of doctors and advisors to organize the shared Dialysis room; Phramongkutklao Hospital had 18 beds and Thian Fah Hospital had 12 beds. Moreover, we provide free weekly Sunday checkups at Lumpini Park where anyone can come to check on their blood and sugar levels.

For over 100 years, The Thian Fah Foundation Hospital has been non-profit. We provide care to any race, religion and socioeconomic backgrounds and no cost. Our vision, from the very beginning, was to provide health and medical assistance to everyone in order to have a happier community and improve the quality of life in the country. We still follow this vision today, and will continue to do so for the many years to come.

Boonkiat Benjalert

 

Wilawan Kisnavarin

 

Yenchai Suvanarat

 

Huang Yanzhi

 

Wang Jianmin

 

Pornnipar Tapaneeyasin

 

Pawinee Sujitranuch

 

Phongsawat Phongtanateeraphon

 

Kanitta Sarawut

 

Visarut Jitsiri

 

Polsiri Lertveerasirikul

 

Apassanan Chongsiriprasoet

 

Zheng Shaohui

 

Chen Chuyun

 

Panbubpa Choovichian
MD Director of Division of Nephrology

 

Ouppatham Supasynd
MD Advisory in the Division of Nephrology

 

Bancah Satirapoj
MD Advisory in the Division of Nephrology

 

Vanna Prakongkaew
Manager in the Division of Nephrology

 
 

Copyright THIAN FAH FOUNDATION HOSPITAL All Rights Reserved.
Address: 606 The King's Birthday Celebration Arch (China Town Gate),Yaowaraj Road, Samphanthawong District, Bangkok 10100.
Thianfah's Modern Medical Department Telephone Number : 66(0)2-2330955-6
Thianfah's Office Telephone Number : 66(0)2-2372191-4, Fax Number : 66(0)2-2343278
E-mail: thianfah@hotmail.com

Network by Thaicn.com